Thursday, March 15, 2012

Digital Citizenship

Lately it seems like a lot of my time as a principal is spent dealing with people trying to prohibit technology. In fact, I recently used the word "prohibition" to refer to how some people want me to approach personal electronic devices.

At a recent "copy room" impromptu conversation with a teacher, who demanded I enforce the "No Cell Phone Policy" school wide, and then proceeded to tell me she would be bringing this up at the faculty meeting, I found myself perplexed.

I think it would be ridiculous for me, as the principal, to require all staff to use technology as an instructional too. Imagine the memo: "Attention all staff: As of today, you will be required to allow students to use their cell phones as learning tools in your classroom. That is all."

Can you imagine what would happen?

Why, then, do so many teachers want us to do the opposite and BAN all cell phones from all classrooms?

Why do people want technology prohibition? Have we learned nothing from history?

The fact is, the computing power in the cell phones most kids are carrying is phenomenal. And it's free.

I am growing weary of the technology police.

Instead, why not embrace it, or at lease allow those of us who want to use these tools to embrace it?


Why not teach the importance of digital citizenship?

Why not recognize that students are engaged with their technology because it's just part of who they are and how they communicate?

Why not be curious about all "the hype"?

No comments:

Post a Comment